- 2 sardines, whole
- 1 large baking potato, chopped into large chunks
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed but skin on
- 1 lemon (1/2 cut into wedges, 1/2 reserved)
- 3 tablespoons Greenfields Thyme
- sea salt, black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water for about 5 min, then drain well and give them a good shake to bash them up so you get crispy skins later.
- Arrange the potatoes in an even layer on a greased oven proof dish, season and drizzle with evoo, and place into the oven to roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the gills and insides from the sardines by cutting from just beneath the head down the belly. Wash under running water and rub the sardines all over to remove the blood and scales. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 10 min before your potatoes are ready, remove, turn up the heat to 200 degrees celsius.
- Place the sardines over and scatter the garlic, thyme and the lemon wedges around. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over. Return to oven and roast for 10 more min till the sardines are just cooked. You can also change to broil setting for the last few minutes to get a lightly charred, crispier skin!