Starters & Salads
Starters & Salads
Middle Eastern Lentil soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- • 1 onion, chopped
- • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- • 1 1/2 cups of red/yellow lentils
- • 8 cups of chicken/vegetable stock
- • 1 tsp turmeric
- • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- • Handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- • Juice of half a lemon
. Heat oil in a pan and gently fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes.
2. Add the chopped garlic, turmeric and cumin and continue cooking for a few minutes
3. Stir in the lentils, add the stock and cook for 35 minutes. Stir several times during
cooking, especially towards the end, to prevent lentils from sticking to base of pan.
4. Toss in parsley, stir in lemon juice and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes more.
5. Blend the lentils until smooth.
6. Serve with chunks of crusty bread.
Middle Eastern Pita Salad (Fattoush Salad)
- 2 small pita rounds
- ½ cup olive oil, plus 2 tbs(120 mL)
- salt, to taste
- 2 medium hearts romaine lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 cups cherry tomato(400 g)
- 5 scallions
- ½ cup radish, sliced (60 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups fresh parsley, chopped (80 g)
1 cup fresh mint, chopped(40 g)
- 1 ½ lemons, juiced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground sumac
¼ teaspoon allspice
- pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Slice the pitas in half to make 4 thin rounds. Place the pitas on a nonstick sheet pan. Brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt.Bake for about 5 minutes, until the outside is golden brown. Let cool until they become crispy.Make 3 cuts lengthwise on each of the romaine hearts, remove the stems, and chop into smaller pieces. Rinse, drain, and add to a large salad bowl.Seed the cucumber, dice it, and add it to the salad bowl.Cut the tomatoes in half and add them to the salad bowl.Mince the scallions and add them to the salad bowl.Add the radishes, bell pepper, parsley, and mint to the salad bowl and toss to combine.In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup (120 ml) of oil, the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic, sumac, allspice, salt, and pepper and whisk until well-combined.Pour the dressing over the salad.
Break the crispy pitas into small pieces and add to the salad. Toss well.
Spiced Lentil Soup
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp ground coriander
- 160g dried split red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400g plum tomatoes
- 2tsp tomato purée
- 1tsp lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper, to serve
- Heat the olive oil on a low heat and add the onion, celery and dry spices to the pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Add the plum tomatoes, tomato purée, lentils and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins, or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat, blitz in a food processor and check seasoning.
- Serve with a pinch of cayenne pepper and a snip of parsley.
Vegan Stuffed Vine Leaves
- 1 Cup Long grain Rice
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes or 1/4 Cup Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Lemon, Freshly Squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Dried Mint
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 60-70 Grape Vine Leaves, in brine (1 jar 430 g gross weight, 260 g net weight)
- 1 Lemon,Thinly Sliced Crosswise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Drain grape vine leaves and soak them in a large bowl of water. Gently separate and wash the leaves, stack them on a plate and set them aside, covered with a damp cloth so they don’t dry out, until you’re ready to start rolling them.
- Place 1 cup of brown rice and 3 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Let boil on medium heat, uncovered, for about 20 minutes until half cooked. Drain and let cool.
- Add rice to a large mixing bowl and top with diced tomatoes, chopped parsley, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper and dried mint. If using fresh dried mint, separate the leaves from the stems and pulverize the mint between the palm of your hands directly above the mixture so that it falls into the bowl. Mix well to combine
- Line the bottom of a pot with some grape leaves.
- Begin stuffing and rolling the rest of the grape leaves.
- Place a grape leaf in one hand, scoop about 1 heaping teaspoon of the rice mixture into the center and carefully fold in the sides and roll it like you would when making a wrap. Make sure that it is rolled tightly enough not to unravel when cooking, but not too tightly because the rice needs some room to expand when cooking.
- Neatly arrange the stuffed and rolled grape leaves in rows, alternating directions, to completely cover the circumference of the pot, in as many layers as necessary until you have rolled and arranged all of them. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil between layers and on top.
- Top with thinly sliced lemon.
- Place a small plate or pot lid directly on top of the leaves, to prevent them from floating while they cook.
- Add water to completely cover the grape leaf rolls and reach the plate or pot lid.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat to medium and let simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 35-40 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Since cooking time varies by stove top, taste the grape leaves, and if the rice still seems undercooked, you can add 1/4 cup of water and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool uncovered until you can handle them with your fingers, then carefully transfer them to a serving dish, one by one.
Baharat Spiced Summer Chickpea Salad
Salad dressing (baharat spiced):
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 clove garlic (minced)
• 1/2 teaspoon Greenfields Baharat spice blend
• 1/2 teaspoon Greenfields chilli flakes (optional)
• 1 teaspoon Greenfields dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon Greenfields Sea salt
• 1 teaspoon Greenfields cumin seeds
• 200 grams chickpeas (cooked, or a 400g, 14oz, chickpea tin drained and rinsed)
• 4 radishes (chopped)
• 6 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
• ¼ cucumber (chopped)
• 1 red bell pepper (deseeded and chopped)
• 1 handful mint leaves (chopped)
• 1 handful coriander (cilantro chopped)
1. Combine all the salad dressing ingredients together and mix them
2. In a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients (chickpeas, radishes, cherry tomatoes,
cucumbers, red bell pepper, cucumber, mint leaves and coriander) then pour the
salad dressing on top.
3. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl together and serve.
Vegan Detox Quinoa Salad
• 1 cup white Greenfields white quinoa
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
• 1 sweet potato (medium, cubed)
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 cup corn kernels (fresh)
• 1 can black beans (Organic, drained and rinsed)
• 4 spring onions (finely diced)
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes (Sweet)
• 3 ounces baby spinach (chopped roughly)
• 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (/Coriander)
For the Dressing:
• 2 limes (Fresh)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Greenfields ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon Greenfields ground coriander
• Greenfields sea salt (/Pepper, to taste)
Preheat the oven at 375.
2. In a big bowl, add water to flax seeds and mix well
3. Add tahini, molasses, and oatmeal. Mix very well all ingredients